Seven Grandfather Teachings Yoga Cards for Kids
Embracing the teachings of Indigenous Peoples through movement & affirmations.
The information held within these cards is as shared with us by OJibwe Elders of Treaty 3/Agency 1 Land Northwestern Ontario, Canada.
In many Anishinaabe communities across North America, the Seven Grandfather Teachings offer ways to enrich life while living in peace and harmony with all of creation. These teachings link beautifully with the Chakras we see in yogic philosophy.
We can learn these teachings in many ways:
- through stories using our minds,
- through affirmations using our emotions,
- through connection with all our relations and this Earth, using our spirit,
- and through our movement and breath, using our body.
The yoga poses in these cards can help kids tune in to their own mino ayawin (health and wellness), as well as help them feel these teachings in their bodies, helping them to understand that these qualities are already a big part of them.
A deeper understanding of themselves as a whole can be a part of building minwaadizi (a good life).
The deck of 33 colorful cards includes:
- an index card listing the teachings
- instructions for 7 yoga poses associated with each teaching
- 7 illustrated cards showing the postures
- 7 matching animal cards
- yoga teaching tips
The yoga poses in the index are sequenced specifically to invite flow from one pose to the next.
I was so excited to find this lesson and appreciated being able to bring a fresh approach, to the season of gratitude, with it! I will definitely be incorporating elements of it again and again!
We Also Recommend
40 Partner Yoga Poses Cards for Kids
Mindfulness Cards for Kids